ESRB Rating Categories
Titles rated EC - Early Childhood have content that may be suitable for ages 3 and older. Contains no material that parents would find inappropriate. EVERYONE
Titles rated E - Everyone have content that may be suitable for persons ages 6 and older. Titles in this category may contain minimal violence, some comic mischief and/or mild language.
Titles rated T - Teen have content that may be suitable for persons ages 13 and older. May contain violent content, mild or strong language, and/or suggestive themes.
Titles rated M - Mature have content that may be suitable for persons ages 17 and older. Titles in this category may contain mature sexual themes, more intense violence and/or strong language.
Titles rated AO - Adults Only have content suitable only for adults. Titles in this category may include graphic depictions of sex and/or violence. Adult Only products are not intended for persons under the age of 18.
Titles listed as RP - Rating Pending have been submitted to the ESRB and are awaiting final rating.
ESRB Content Descriptors
* Alcohol Reference - Reference to and/or images of alcoholic beverages
* Animated Blood - Cartoon or pixilated depictions of blood
* Blood - Depictions of blood
* Blood and Gore - Depictions of blood or the mutilation of body parts
* Cartoon Violence - Violent actions involving cartoon-like characters. May include violence where a character is unharmed after the action has been inflicted
* Comic Mischief - Scenes depicting slapstick or gross vulgar humor
* Crude Humor - Moderately vulgar antics, including bathroom humor
* Drug Reference - Reference to and/or images of illegal drugs
* Edutainment - Content of product provides user with specific skills development or reinforcement learning within an entertainment setting. Skill development is an integral part of product
* Fantasy Violence - Violent actions of a fantasy nature, involving human or non-human characters in situations easily distinguishable from real life
* Gambling - Betting like behavior
* Informational - Overall content of product contains data, facts, resource information, reference materials or instructional text
* Intense Violence - Graphic and realistic-looking depictions of physical conflict. May involve extreme and/or realistic blood, gore, weapons, and depictions of human injury and death
* Mature Humor - Vulgar and/or crude jokes and antics including "bathroom" humor
* Mature Sexual Themes - Provocative material, possibly including partial nudity
* Mild Language - Mild references to profanity, sexuality, violence, alcohol, or drug use
* Mild Lyrics - Mild references to profanity, sexuality, violence, alcohol, or drug use in music
* Mild Violence - Mild scenes depicting characters in unsafe and/or violent situations
* Nudity - Graphic or prolonged depictions of nudity
* Partial Nudity - Brief and mild depictions of nudity
* Sexual Violence - Depictions of rape or other sexual acts
* Some Adult Assistance May Be Needed - Early Childhood Descriptor only
* Strong Language - Profanity and explicit references to sexuality, violence, alcohol, or drug use
* Strong Lyrics - Profanity and explicit references to sex, violence, alcohol, or drug use in music
* Strong Sexual Content - Graphic depiction of sexual behavior, possibly including nudity
* Suggestive Themes - Mild provocative references or materials
* Tobacco Reference - Reference to and/or images of tobacco products
* Use of Drugs - The consumption or use of illegal drugs
* Use of Alcohol - The consumption of alcoholic beverages
* Use of Tobacco - The consumption of tobacco products
* Violence - Scenes involving aggressive conflict
Additionally, online games that include user-generated content (e.g., chat, maps, skins) carry the notice "Game Experience May Change During Online Play" to warn consumers that content created by players of the game has not been rated by the ESRB.
The ESRB rating system is designed to give parents the information they need to evaluate a computer or video game before making a purchasing decision. The ratings are not meant to recommend which games consumers should buy or rent or to serve as the only basis for choosing a product. Game reviews printed in newspapers and publisher web sites can be excellent sources of information. To search for games that are appropriate based on age categories and content.
Page 1 of 1
ESRB Rating Categories
Share this topic:
Page 1 of 1
|Topic||Forum||Started By||Stats||Last Post Info|
|Max Payne 3 video demonstrating the work of HEALTH on the game's score||Latest News||Mush xx>||
|Celebrating the 25th Anniversary of Street Fighter||Latest News||Mush xx>||
|Pan-European Game Information (Pegi) Age Rating System To Go Mobile||Latest News||Mush xx>||
|Game Marketplace Catherine ESRB Trailer||Xbox.com and Industry Jobs||XBLAs RSS News Feeder||
|Game Marketplace Trials Evolution ESRB Trailer||Xbox.com and Industry Jobs||XBLAs RSS News Feeder||
Adverts are hidden for all 'Platinum Members' - sign up for just £10 a year by clicking here - your donation helps the site costs